Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sonnet XVII - Pablo Neruda

Jason and I attended Miguel and Leve's gorgeous wedding yesterday in the Back Bay. At the wedding ceremony they passed out this beautiful sonnet by Pablo Neruda. I love his poetry and thought I'd share with you. Happy Sunday!

I do not love you as if you were the salt rose, or topax,
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries within itself the light of hidden flowers;
and thanks to your love, darkly in my body
lives a certain solid fragrance risen from the Earth.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where
I love you simply, without complexities or pride;
I love you in this way because
I know no other way of loving than this:

in which there is no I or you,
so close that your hand upon my chest is my hand
so close that when I fall asleep, it is your eyes that close.

No comments: