Thursday, September 18, 2008

Retail Social Networking

mmmmm....lemon drops :) (photo courtesy of www.sweetfactory.com)

It's been a busy week - I worked, worked, worked...and then worked overnight last night. After giving a powerpoint presentation fueled by espresso on ethnopsychopharmacology and conducting psychotherapy in Mandarin this morning... I am finally done... for now.  Of course, there's still friday, but fridays are always a nice because the weekend is so close! This weekend is going to be FANTASTIC because my friend Sarah will be visiting Boston from Winston-Salem, and my friend Beatriz will be visiting from NYC via Spain! Hooray!

So, this posting is somewhat aimed towards (but not limited to) the ladies. I have been thinking it might be a good idea start a blog where we can swap or sell our clothes, accessories, shoes. I will confess. I am a shopaholic. I enjoy shopping for anything and everything- clothes, home furnishing, art, high tech electronics, groceries. I remember one of my earliest shopping memories: my brother and I would save up our coins, and as we walked home together after elementary school, we would buy 5 or 10 cent candies at the Stone Store in Lexington. I remember the excitement of handing over a few of my hard earned pennies for a tootsie pop, or box lemon drops. The candy felt hard earned, well deserved, and immensely satisfying (though I don't exactly remember working for pennies during my childhood)

In any case, I'm finding that as an adult, there isn't much you can buy with a few pennies. (sigh) So, I am trying to come up with creative ways to recycle goods, and get bargains. I have been bringing my stuff to second hand stores, but it always feels like I'm getting ripped off. My idea is to create a blog (which should debut in the next week) called "SWAP or SELL" where we can each post things we like, but no longer need or us, so that our friends can possibly benefit. It's a win win situation - you get to empty your closet, and make room for some great new items for a great price, or better yet - you can swap! No more guilt about spending all your paychecks on Manolo Blahnik stilettos (no, i did not do that, but SJP did in Sex & the City) Anyhow, I'd like to get some feedback - would any of you be interested in participating in this debut attempt at retail social networking?

4 comments:

sarahsouth said...

can't wait to see you!
love the lemon drop photo :]

arcadianrhythm said...

Hey, I know you IRL but haven't talked to you in FOREVER (maybe since college). You probably won't recognize me by my blogger name or (dormant) blog, so here's a hint... mint green cabins, and I'm from Delaware!

Turbogroove said...

what is IRL? I know who you are your name starts with L and rhymes with pizza! I hope you're enjoying this blog. It's totally random. just like me. :)

arcadianrhythm said...

in real life! And you guessed right! So glad to find you again!