Friday, September 5, 2008

Fire Alarm

This morning, at 7am, I awoke to a loud female voice. I thought to myself, "could it really be time to get up?" "that doesn't sound like my alarm".... I had specifically decided to sleep in this morning, to power myself up for this busy and frenetic meeting, and wake up just get up in time for my meeting with Senator Kerry's rep.

That didn't end up happening.... It was not my alarm, it was the fire alarm. I struggled to find my glasses and change into a presentable outfit (this is after all, a collection of leaders in psychiatry) and when I went to wash my face, I noticed there were no lights. With the women's annoying voice, "This is a fire emergency, please evacuate the building" repeatedly blasting in my ear, I groggily made my way down 11 flights of stairs to exit the building.

Sure enough, it was a legit alarm. There were probably a dozen fire and emergency vehicles outside of the Penn Ave JW Marriot. "Electrical failure" they said. I decided, since I was up, might as well get some breakfast. I called my friend Stacey and as I waited for her to evacuate the building, I soaked in the interesting scene- some people in bathrobes (i guess i wasn't the only one who was still sleeping), pajamas, and one very determined business man who decided to change and groom outside in the public - some people really are unstoppable. Anyhow, once Stacey and I met up we went to get some breakfast, which is where I am now - in the Organic to go cafe and catering. Here, I had yet another strange observation - when I asked for some tap water, the woman who prepared my water mixed ice cubes and boiling water to create my beverage. It was the most effort I've ever seen put into "tap water", but she did a great job. It tastes like tap water, and it is cool and refereshing.

In any case, we've now been "stranded" for over 2 hours, and the hotel says there still is no water/electricity. Apparently it's on the news. I guess there goes my beauty sleep hopes for the day. The good thing is that I am now full and fed, it is a gorgeous sunny day out, and in 15 minutes when the museums open, we're going to go to explore. Some of my friends have 10am meetings with their representatives and have decided to go unshowered, and their street clothes. I think I'll still have time to go back to the hotel to prepare for the MA meeting at the Senate. We'll see. Every day is an interesting day.

No comments: