Friday, September 12, 2008

Pho, Chipwiches and school lunch

Tonight, Jason and I met up with our friends Mona and Jens for dinner at a Vietnamese Restaurant, Anh Chu. It is one of their favorite restaurants in the Woo, and I'd have to say that after tasting the delicious beef curry and pho, it's become one of our favorites too. Since it is a small family run business and was recently at risk for closing,  I'm going to give Anh Chu a shout out.... Please go 439 Park Ave, Worcester, Ma- you won't be disappointed! 

During dinner, we had a lively conversation about our childhoods and spent a fair amount of time reminiscing about school lunch. Mona and Jens used to buy lunch, whereas Jason brought lunch every day. I had a mix of the two approaches.  I shared with them my favorite lunchtime memory - when my wonderful and generous dad would give me $2 (an extra 75 cents more than the basic lunch fee), I would splurge on a chipwich or snickers ice cream bar. Mmmmm. I haven't eaten either of those since learning how to read nutrition labels in home economics in middle school. But every time I see one of those frozen treats,  I feel nostalgic. Of course, everyone at dinner teased me about my love for food but what can I say, I love food. And I love my dad for making my sandwiches the morning of, and putting the tomatoes in a separate container so my bread wouldn't get soggy. And for the extra 75 cents he treated me to. 

No comments: