Sunday, November 9, 2008

sunday morning



Ahhh. Sunday mornings. :) I love lazy Sunday mornings. I slept in, then started my day by baking a pear cranberry coffee cake (customized from the Sunday Special Coffee Cake, my go-to coffee cake basic recipe - see below) that Jason and I will be bringing to brunch at a friend's house today. As I was waiting for the cake to bake, I swept the leaves off the patio. And now, I'm sitting by my computer, relaxing, enjoying my coffee and listening to songs on Itunes, something that I haven't had the chance to indulge for a while! I was thinking yesterday how long it has been since I've had two weekend days off (meaning Sat and Sun) and stayed in Worcester.... Sept 20th! Anyhow, I thought I'd share this beautiful song - Sunny Road by Emiliana Torrini - perfect for a Sunny Sunday morning. :)

Sunday Special Coffee Cake
1/2 c plus 3/4 c sugar
1/4 c plus 1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c plus 1/3 c butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (the recipe says egg white, but I never bother separating)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

1. Combine 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 c flour, 1/4 butter and cinnamon. Mix lightly with a fork until crumbly. Set aside for topping
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, grease 8'' square pan
3. Sift 1 1/2 c flour, baking powder and salt
4. in a medium bowl, beat egg with a rotary blender until frothy, beat in 3/4 c sugar, 1/3 c melted butter until well combined, add milk and vanilla.
5. With a wooden spoon, beat in flour mixture until well combined; pour into pan.
6. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
7. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
8. Cool partially in pan or on a wire rack. Cut into squares while still warm. :)

No comments: