Monday, November 3, 2008

Red Velvet Cake - An Update, the Latest taste test

Of course I had to try the red velvet cake at the Southern Gourmet Pantry in the West Village as I strolled by it Sunday afternoon. I stopped Jason in his tracks and said, "Although I've eaten more cake than I ever have in the past week...I absolutely must try the red velvet cake there!" Alas, the quest must continue.

Since we had stuffed our self with a decadent brunch (meatball sliders, poached eggs on sausage biscuits and home fries/brussel sprouts - all were fantastic) - at the Little Owl and then had OMG smooth gelato at Grom (I had sea salt caramel and venezuelan chocolate)... I got a red cupcake to go.

Alas, I did not try it until we got home to Worcester late last night (after, yet another fantastic meal at Supper restaurant - lower east side)... and....the RV cupcake was kind of disappointing. It actually tasted just like dry yellow cake. I did not detect any buttermilk or touch of cocoa. Sigh. Not all red velvet cake is made equal - and hence, that is what makes the quest for the "Best RV", a continuous and suspense-filled quest.

However, I must share that the woman behind the counter (?the owner) of the southern Gourmet Pantry had the most extensive and passionate knowledge of hot sauces and offered perfect descriptions like it "gives a punch, then pulls back", so if not for the RV, I would recommend visiting the cozy and quaint store if you are ever in need of some hot pepper.

No comments: