Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Just not meant to be (sigh)

I would like to think of myself as someone who really appreciates what I have, and who is not particularly materialistic. However, these shoes proved to be an exception. These are the three-strap crystal sandals by Rene Caovilla that I have been lusting after ever since I saw them adorn a girl's feet at a wedding in September. Even Jason will admit, "They're fantastic. A work of art. Shoes to make another girl cry". But alas, they are not for me. When I first saw the price tag on www.saks.com$1275, my jaw dropped. I'm no country bumpkin, but I never imagined a shoe could be that expensive. Fascinated, I started stalking the shoe online, trying to see if it would ever drop to a price I just might be able to afford.

Last week, the shoe went on sale (gasp!) but was still an unattainable  $780.  Then this morning, out of sheer random curiosity (and continued stalking of the shoe), I saw on saks, the price had gone down to $380...AND...there was one pair of size 8 left. So, it was a half size too big, but I decided to go for it. But before I could go from page one to page two of checkout, the Cinderella slippers were gone. I almost cried with disappointment. 

But now that I've had all day to come to terms with my loss, I realize, $380 is still a gross and ridiculous amount to spend on a shoe. Especially when I  1) am a resident 2) live in Worcester where these shoes would never seen the light of day 3) not a socialite 4) spent less than that on my wedding dress . Sigh. While I am okay that I didn't get these shoes, I think I am a bit sad that my fantasy has come to an end, as they have clear sold out everywhere. It was a fun and exhilarating chase.

No comments: