Friday, October 3, 2008

Straight or Curly



We always want what we do not have.  Though, i'd have to say that in general, I am very grateful for what I have.  However, for the past 5 years of my life, I have been on the quest to get the perfect perm. That's right. Perm. All the rage of the 80's. Only I wanted an updated perm -  like the romantic wavy locks on the glossy magazine pages.  

The first time I attempted to get a perm was when I was a medical student in Providence. I remember when the rollers came out, I gasped and thought, OMG, I look like Lionel Richie. Fortunately, after a few showers, the curls came out. I was disappointed I didn't achieve the look I was going for, but relieved that I didn't have to look like Lionel for the next 6 months.  The second time I went to a hair salon in NYC - Right afterwards, I asked my friend Ali what she thought and she said "That's a perm?" - Again, after one shower, it was gone. 

So now I was $200 or so in the hole, and still with stick straight hair.  I finally sat down and did some research last year and I think I've finally got it right! 

Introducing....the DIGITAL PERM. this is some snazzy japanese technology where they basically electroshock your hair into the curl formation. I know, it sounds and looks (see photo) crazy, but it's the only thing that worked. For the past year I have been happily flaunting bouncing waves thanks to the latest technology and Hair Adventure.  Yippee! On that note, I wish you all a good hair day.

3 comments:

irideout said...

I love your curls!!! I want curls too now! :P

Turbogroove said...

You should get them then! They do a great job at this salon in Chinatown. It's a bit expensive but much cheaper than anywhere/ any other salon and it looks more natural, lasts about a year....

Turbogroove said...

Alternately, you can do what we did as girls, braid your hair the night before. Or put it in several different sections and pin it, when it dries, you'll have curls. (that is what i did for my engagement party, then I fixed it with a curling iron)