Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I love RED VELVET cake

I can't remember exactly when I fell in love with Red Velvet Cake, but I think it was some time two years ago, and in New York City.  I think part of my fascination with Red Velvet Cake is that it is so unique, and so inconsistent...thus making it not just a simple task, but a quest to search for one that is flavorful (buttermilk and cocoa undertones) and moist. For the past two years, I have searched out red velvet cake/ cupcakes in nearly every city I visit (though I did not find them in Taipei or Tokyo). So far, my favorites are: 1) Memorial Sloan Kettering Cafeteria Red Velvet Cake, Manhattan, NY; 2) Red Velvet mini cupcakes - Kumquat Cupcakery, Brooklyn, NY; 3) Les Glaceurs: Glaces and cupcakes Montreal (see first photo).  
Recent Red Velvet Cake: Lulu's Bakeshoppe
For my 29th birthday, Jason searched all over Boston to find a Red Velvet Birthday Cake and he scored big with a delicious, moist, richly flavored one from Lulu's Bakeshoppe in the North End. For now, this one just may take the cake, but if any of you out there have any secret knowledge about Red Velvet cake/cupcakes, please share. :)

2 comments:

sarahsouth said...

i once made a red velvet cake for christmas... i decorated it with cranberries/mint leaves to look like holly :]

Turbogroove said...

You have a recipe for red velvet- please share! OMG you are now my even more favoriter Sarah. cupcakes divine AND red velvet cake- can we please make sure next job we get is in the same city. better yet, let's live down the street and organize weekly potlucks!