Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy and Hopeful

Sometimes it's the little moments in life that remind us how lucky we are, and how wonderful life is.

When I was seeing patients at the community clinic today, I asked one of my schizophrenic patients how he was doing. He answered, "I'm very well, thank you. I'm the happiest man in the world". He went on to tell me how pleased he was to be living in Worcester - which he described as "a masterpiece, superb and beautiful". When I asked him what his plans for the future were, he answered, "I just want to be an outstanding citizen of the world." As he left, he smiled and said, "Thanks doctor, have a beautiful day".

I paused and reflected on his choice of words. I was touched by his positive vocabulary. His use of beautiful, instead of good - turned an ordinary greeting into a special one. It was only a quick 30 minute medication check-up, but it was an encounter that was heartwarming and full of hope. He reminded me that happiness and contentment is not about getting what you think you want, but appreciating what you already have. I wish all of you out there a "beautiful" day as well. :)

1 comment:

irideout said...

So uplifting! Thanks for sharing, and for the reminder!