Sunday, June 7, 2009

Red Velvet always brings me back!

I have fallen behind in my blogging. I've been busy - working, figuring out my future (which will hopefully include the West Coast in 2010), and planning our wedding.  But don't worry - I've been continuing to eat well, and have not given up on my quest for the *World's Best* Red Velvet Cake.  :)

Although I have sampled red velvet cake (RVC) throughout the country, rarely do I get it near home. The last time I had RVC in Boston was when Jason had one special ordered for my birthday. So imagine this. I was in Boston Friday afternoon getting my hair permed (I think I've posted on the wonders of the "digital perm" previously) and on my way back to the Mass Pike, I kept an eye out for this cupcake shop "Sweet" that Bostonians have be raving about. Just as I was about to drive by, a car pulled out of a parking spot and it opened up. Right in front of the store. It was fate. I knew I had to go in.

The verdict? Beautifully designed, attractive cupcakes. But sadly, lousy taste. So lousy, I can't remember if the cake had any flavor other than the cream cheese frosting, which was good. But I am not a cream cheese frosting critic, I am a red velvet cake connoisseur.  So, disappointed, I'm back to the drawing board. FYI - the cappuccino and carrot cake mini muffins I got were also disappointing in flavor and dry. Two thumbs down for Sweet on Mass Ave. (perhaps the worst rating in my blog thus far). 

No comments: